Monday, February 27, 2012

John 19:31-42, 1 Corinthians 11:23-26; Remember Jesus

John 19:31-42
"Therefore, because it was the Preparation Day, that the bodies should not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day), the Jews asked Pilate that their legs might be broken, and that they might be taken away. Then the soldiers came and broke the legs of the first and of the other who was crucified with Him. But when they came to Jesus and saw that He was already dead, they did not break His legs. But one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and immediately blood and water came out. And he who has seen has testified, and his testimony is true; and he knows that he is telling the truth, so that you may believe. For these things were done that the Scripture should be fulfilled, 'Not one of His bones shall be broken.' And again another Scripture says, 'They shall look on Him whom they pierced.' After this, Joseph of Arimathea, being a disciple of Jesus, but secretly, for fear of the Jews, asked Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus; and Pilate gave him permission. So he came and took the body of Jesus. And Nicodemus, who at first came to Jesus by night, also came, bringing a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about a hundred pounds. Then they took the body of Jesus, and bound it in strips of linen with the spices, as the custom of the Jews is to bury. Now in the place where He was crucified there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb in which no one had yet been laid. So there they laid Jesus, because of the Jews' Preparation Day, for the tomb was nearby."
NKJV


How often do you remember what Jesus did for you? We can be so quick to forget. Some of this forgetfulness is an instrument of God's healing. Sometimes, we forget pain that we suffered and trials we endured. We also forget names, numbers, and sometimes birthdays and even anniversaries. I got married on Valentine's Day and it helps that the stores put out hearts to help me remember. We tend to forget (or not think about) the most important date of all and the event itself--the crucifixion.

Communion is a time of remembering. Remembering what He did for us. He bled. He died. He took our punishment when He did not have to. Our job? To remember. That is why Jesus told us during communion to remember. Why? The sad fact is, we might forget. Celebrate communion often. Do it at home, do it at work, do it with your parents and do it with your kids.

1 Corinthians 11:23-26 "For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread; and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, 'Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me.' In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, 'This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me.' For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death till He comes." NKJV

Throughout history, we have had slogans like 'remember the Alamo' or 'remember the Maine'. Ours is simple. Remember Jesus.

Life Lesson: We need to realize what Jesus did for us on the cross.

Dear Father,
Let me never forget what Jesus did for me. I thank You for providing a means of forgiveness so that we can know the fullness of Your grace. Help me not only to remember, but to share and not only to share but to show. I pray this in Jesus' name, Amen.

Living to tell what He died to say,
Pastor David McGee
My Comments: I look back over my life and I always knew God was there and doing things for me and never gave much though except for at Easter time as to what Jesus did for me and it was never an in depth thought.
Growing up in the Greek Russian Orthodox Church as I did in Alaska and coming from a family from the Priest hood, I did not have deep thoughts about Jesus sacrifice. I did not understand Slavonic (the language spoken at Church) though my Grandmother explained many of the words especially the common prayers and songs yet it was my communion with God that grew in my heart not the theology of the Orthodox Church. Maybe they gave thought to Christ's sacrifice and knew Him better than I. I cannot speak for them only myself.
The church had many Icons (pictures of saints and Jesus and such) all over and like the Catholics the congregant lite candles in front of them and said prayers to them for help etc. They did not read their Bibles as the Catholic usually did not either so their understanding of the Word came from Priests who told them what to believe. In my case many were Alaskan Natives and they came out of superstition and animalism beliefs in their history, so praying to many was natural. I praise God He has shown me Jesus his precious Son and made me to understand that praying to Him (God)through the Son (Jesus) is what I must do.
Jesus gave up Heaven to come to earth to take on the sin of the whole world so that we may have Eternal Life with God. What a wonder that Jesus would give up and go through so much pain and suffering so I and the whole world may live with the Father. There is no life without accepting the Sacrifice of Jesus the Son of God. When we choose Jesus' sacrifice and righteousness we choose life. If we do not choose Him we choose death in Hell with Satan who becomes our god which is what he has always wanted when he tried to usurp God and was cast out of Heaven.
Loved ones I pray you will choose life. When we turn to God the Father through His Son Jesus Christ and accept the salvation He attained for us we choose life. When we choose our own road our own life. (like "I did it my way") we choose not to be with God and that way is death for which there is no coming back from once our body leaves this world. He gives us till we die in this body yet loved ones I pray you will not wait that long. You would miss out on great joy and peace by waiting. Search the Word and ask Him who has done so much to guide you through His Holy Spirit as you read the Word and He will show you the truth of His Word. Open your Heart and take the leap of faith and accept Him as Savior and He will open up life to you.
My heart cries to You Abba for all who need Your salvation through Your Son Jesus and I pray You will guide them and open their hearts to Your joy and peace and that they will accept Your Son's sacrifice and grace. Which cannot be bought by good acts or pretense and only through the faith of believing on Your Son Jesus. Thank you Abba for all You have done to bring them to You and open their eyes, unstop their ears and soften their hearts that they may have life everlasting. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment