Monday, January 30, 2012

1 Corinthians 12:24-25, Luke 9:23; be a blessing to the body

1 Corinthians 12:24-25
"but our presentable parts have no need. But God composed the body, having given greater honor to that part which lacks it, that there should be no schism in the body, but that the members should have the same care for one another."
NKJV

It was there in the garden, when Eve looked at the fruit and saw that it was good. It was found in the face of Cain after his brother's sacrifice was accepted and not his. It was also seen around the cross as religious leaders mocked Jesus. What was it? It was selfishness. Friend, selfishness is the root of so much sin and suffering around us. Think about it. What causes one man to steal from another? It's a selfish desire for what's not his own. What leads a man or woman to commit adultery? It's a self-focused desire and want, with no consideration of their spouse. What would cause people inside the church to fight or divide? You guessed it... it is selfishness.

In Luke 9:23, Jesus states something extremely contrary to our nature. He says "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me." Deny ourselves. It's easier said than done but, with the power of God's Spirit, it is possible. Imagine if each person in the church would seek to bless the other. Imagine if instead of spreading gossip, we all spread encouragement. What if instead of condemnation, we practiced mercy. You see, in order for the Body of Christ to function as a whole, it cannot be divided. This means nailing our selfishness to the cross and leaving it there. When that happens, our church, our community and even our world will never be the same.

Life Lesson: The Bible points out that division is rooted in selfishness.

Dear God,
Thank You for Your love for me and for making me part of the church. Father, help me to be a blessing to the body and not a hindrance. Teach me to share encouragement and love with those I meet. Give me the power to deny myself and live my life dedicated to serving and loving others. In Jesus' name, Amen.

Living to tell what He died to say,
David McGee



My Comment:
This made me think of how we often think we know best and have all the answers and yet if we went to the Lord first maybe we would not think that way. Maybe we would stay in prayer for discernment on whay antoher is behaving the way they are or even to help us feel differently about another person who is part of the body.
Some friends of mine are concerned at the way and church they used to go to and their family is still going to, is heading. It may be heading towards Emergent Church doctrine and then again it may no be yet because the Pastor is doing things differently they are in a panic. Many have left that Pastors teachings and the family members who have stayed are staying to help the new Christians to not falter. That is a good thing we should all endeavor to do wherever we as Christians are planted or serving as part of the body.
My concern is that I do not want to be drawn into negative thinking about this Pastor without knowing what the Lord thinks and what he has to say for himself so I am just praying to the Lord to guide how I pray for him and his congregation.
It is easy to get drawn into talking about another person or part of the body. Our selfish sin nature thinks it is the end al of knowledge and understanding. It is something I battle with daily and give to the Lord daily and have seen Him working in me to change this behavior in me. My Mom used to say to me when I was growing up, "If you can't say anything nice don't say anything at all." I will add if you can't say anything nice then take it to the Lord and He will help you to work it out and give you the words to say that will build up and edify.

No comments:

Post a Comment