Thursday, April 19, 2012


Romans 13:1, 2Timothy 3:16/17, Romans 13; For instruction
Romans 13:1
"Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God."
NKJV
There are some verses that I love and others that, quite frankly, disturb me. All of scripture is given for our instruction.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work." NKJV
We aren't to observe some scripture and then sweep others under the rug. In Romans 13, we are instructed to be subject to authority - but what is the limit? What are the exceptions? There is something very telling about ourselves in the moment we read this verse. We try to think about what the exceptions could be. I know you did - I did too. I do not like paying taxes. I can't drive 55! When this scripture was written, the Roman government was pretty messed up. Nero was the Emperor and he would torture Christians – even burn them alive as living candles to illuminate his garden. Yet Paul says, we should submit to every ordinance. Jesus could have summoned legions of angels, yet He submitted to Pilate. David had several opportunities to take Saul out and rightfully claim the throne, but he didn't. Certainly, there are times when civil disobedience is called for, but those times are rare. If the government told me I could not teach the Bible anymore, I would be in jail! OK, that's an extreme circumstance but the truth is that when we submit, we honor God. Is there an area of your life where you harbor rebellion? Take some time and seek the Lord about it. What is He telling you?
Life Lesson: We should submit to authority.
Dear Father,
Thank You for giving us Your Bible. Lord, if there is any place in my life that I am being rebellious or harboring a rebellious attitude, please reveal it to me. Please teach me to be in submission to the authority you place over me. In Jesus' name, Amen.
Living to tell what He died to say,
Pastor David McGee

Senior Pastor
The Bridge
aboutthebridge.com
crossthebridge.com

My Comments: As a Native American I have always struggled with this one. Our children were taken away and put in sometimes very bad places where they were beat or worse because they wanted to speak differently or eat and dress differently. Alaska where I am from did not experience it as drastically as my Native brothers and sisters in the rest of America. Blacks were bought and sold and poor people have always been mistreated around the world. I was raped as a child. My first husband was an authority over me and he wanted a second wife with us. I often wondered was I supposed to have allowed those in authority to treat me the way they did, because they were the people in “authority?”

No, I do not believe that we have to accept it because there are bad or evil people in the world. God does not want His children to follow others into sin. Then what? Christ allowed Himself to be beat, spit upon, hung on a cross though He could have demolished all of them in a heart beat. Seems confusing doesn’t it?

I think we can go to the Lord each time and submit to Him with out problems and if He tells me to submit then I do. I have never heard Him tell me to submit to the atrocities of the people of my youth or my people yet I know there are no laws that make it legal in our country for anyone to treat a child or a women as I was treated by some people in my life (may God have mercy on their souls and if they read this I want them to know I have forgiven them a long time ago and pray for them always). Sometimes we are given or allowed to go though things to help others find Christ or to grow us closer to Him. I do not know all the answers to this.  I do not believe God wants us to murder or do atrocities as has happened in other countries as well, like Germany, just because the authorities have decreed it. I feel there are times we say, “No” when it goes against what God has said we must do. His authority for me is the highest authority I follow.

I do believe we follow the laws of the land that bring glory to God.

Abba Father, please show me if there is a place in my heart where I am not listening to You and following Your instructions. Your Son Jesus came to You before He was crucified and asked if the cup could be taken from Him. You did not remove it. If my cup cannot be removed then help me to bear it whenever it becomes more than I can bear. Let us always know You are there going though all things with us. Give us the strength to live our lives to give You all the glory. May all we do be in Your name and be used to bear much, much fruit. Shows us Your answers in Your Word and help us to hold all Your truths dear to our hearts. In Jesus’ precious Name we praise You and thank You. Amen
Rebishka

No comments:

Post a Comment