Friday, April 13, 2012


John 14:8-11, John 2:11, 4:52, 6:14, 12:17/18, Obedience/Discipleship


H.G. Wells, the English science fiction writer, was not known as a religious man. But after he studied the history of mankind and observed life, he decided this: "Until a man has found God and been found by God, he begins at no beginning and he works to no end. He may have friendships, partial loyalties, even some honor. But all these things fall into place and life falls into place only with God."

Has your life fallen into place? Perhaps, as H. G. Wells suggests, you need to get to know God better. Let's see how you can do that.

Receive

"Philip said to him, 'Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.' Jesus said to him, 'Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, "Show us the Father"? Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves'" (John 14:8-11).

·   How does Jesus respond to Philip's request to be shown the Father?

·   According to Jesus, on whose authority did He speak and act?

·   What effect were Christ's works to have?

Reflect

The disciples had spent nearly three years with Jesus. They heard Him teach and they saw Him do many miraculous things--healing the sick, raising the dead, walking on water. Through the eyes of the Gospel writers, we, too, have seen those things.

And for what purpose? John made a point to call these works "signs" (John 2:11,4:52,6:14,12:17-18). They were like neon arrows pointing to the Savior. See Him have compassion for those who were in trouble; see His power over nature and even death itself. That's what the Father is like.

Respond

The better you know Jesus, the better you know the Father. And how do we get to know Jesus? By reading God's Word. Plan to read through the Gospel of John during the next week (that would mean three chapters a day). Take special note of those passages where Jesus performs a "sign" (a miracle). Write down the "sign," and indicate what it reveals about Jesus and the Father; also indicate what it means to you.

Back to the Bible w/ Woodrow Croll

My Comments: Many who have never encountered or have known they have encountered Jesus will take His word and in faith accept Him at His word. Then the Lord through His word shows Himself to be truth and the relationship with their Lord, God and King grows.

The disciples and Apostles walked and talked with Him, heard His words telling them He was "I Am", yet they still did not understand. They walked with Him in faith and trust until their eyes were opened and then nothing could get them to renounce Him or the truths of God!

When I accepted the sacrifice of Jesus Christ and the gracious gift God gave me through His precious Son I did not understand all I was saying "yes” to, yet "yes" I was saying and as time went on He showed me what I had said "yes" to and blessed me with His presence, guidance, comfort and strength. I liken it to the peeling away of layers as I open a preciously wrapped package to find the jewel within.

Abba Father gracious You are, were and will always be and I cannot express completely and fully, our love for You yet we know You are always there, always guiding us and loving us through all that we must go through. Help us to see, learn and recognize those arrows that point us to our Savior and the Cross. Give us compassion for those in trouble and those who do not know You. Help us to see others with Your eyes and love them with Your Heart and speak to them with Your Words. Help us to know You more and become more like You in thought word and deed. Thank You and we praise You Father for all You do in and through us. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment