Thursday, July 24, 2014

Watch Your Tongue Lest it Destroy.

Proverbs 12:19 (NKJV) The Holy Bible, New King James Version Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson, Inc.

19 The truthful lip shall be established forever, But a lying tongue is but for a moment.

Proverbs 25:15 (NKJV)

15 By long forbearance a ruler is persuaded, And a gentle tongue breaks a bone.

James 1:26 (NKJV)

26 If anyone among you[a] thinks he is religious, and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his own heart, this one’s religion is useless.

Psalm 31:20 (NKJV)

20 You shall hide them in the secret place of Your presence from the plots of man; You shall keep them secretly in a pavilion from the strife of tongues.

Isaiah 28:9-12 (NKJV)

“Whom will he teach knowledge? And whom will he make to understand the message? Those just weaned from milk? Those just drawn from the breasts? 10 For precept must be upon precept, precept upon precept, line upon line, line upon line, here a little, there a little.” 11 For with stammering lips and another tongue
He will speak to this people,
12 To whom He said, “This is the rest with which You may cause the weary to rest,” and, “This is the refreshing”;
Yet they would not hear.

Jeremiah 6:10 (NKJV)

10 To whom shall I speak and give warning, that they may hear?
Indeed their ear is uncircumcised, and they cannot give heed. Behold, the word of the Lord is a reproach to them; they have no delight in it.

Matthew 12:34-37 (NKJV)

34 Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. 35 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart[a] brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things. 36 But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. 37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.”

Luke 6:45 (NKJV)

45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart[a] brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.
My Comments: If only we all could think before we speak so the evil that is in us would not come forth to hurt those we love or even those we do not like. God tells us in His word to bridle our tongues and watch our words because they will get us in trouble and show our true selves. I would like to say my mouth has always or is always kind yet that would not be true.
I grew up in a home where sarcastic teasing was the norm from my Dad and gossip was the norm from my Mom though I do remember hearing my Dad and his friends saying things about others as well. My Sister was greatly hurt by our Dad who as a teen, teased her about her weight unmercifully. My heart bleeds to remember her pain. I gave it back to him so he left me alone and often treated me more as a equal because he respected someone who could give it back. Growing up I unfortunately learned to tease and joke though tried not to hurt anyone in the process. I also, learned to gossip though I thought of my Mom as a hypocrite. The apple did not fall far from the tree. I see these traits being carried on in my children and Grandchildren and it saddens my heart.
When my Mom and her friends were together or the “Old Ones” where I grew up were all together (Aunts, Grandmothers, other ladies in town), there was always talk about someone in town or who was not there. Sometimes it was good talk which resulted in women going and helping another women or family. And often it was petty things or things that should not have been repeated or shared as they brought pain to the one they talked about. I would like to say I did not do any of these yet that is not true. Over the years the hardest thing for me to tame has been my tongue and I see this as a problem for most people.
I often wonder more and more as time goes on, why people find it so easy to listen or speak gossip yet do not listen to or speak the word of God. His word is true and to hear His word gladdens the heart, enlightens the mind, instructs, and brings joy, salvation and discipline. Whereas remarks and gossip wound, destroy, damage, bring pain, cause divorces, destroys and separates families and friends. God’s Word tells us to bridle our tongues for a good reason and cautions us that out of the heart comes the evil we speak. If we are truly His we will pray and work to rid ourselves of idle speech, gossip and cruel words. Do our words show we are of God or of Satan? If not we need to confess our sin and ask Jesus to be our Savior. Do we smile and cut others down? If so then this too shows we need a Savior. Do our actions and words mimic Jesus? If not then we need to fall on our knees and seek His forgiveness and turn to Him who can help us change those things unpleasing to His ears.
Abba Father, help us to keep silent when we do not have good to speak of others. Prick our hearts and our consciences when we use the mouth You gave us to say harmful things to or about another. Cleanse our hearts Lord that our mouths will only be filled with praise for You and our lips will speak thanksgiving for all You do for us and others. May we enlighten and lighten others loads with the words we ask You to place on our hearts and in our mouths.
Thank You Jesus for Your example on how we should speak and use the communication skills You have set before us by Your example and Your words. Help us to be like You, turning to the Father before speaking and always seeking His guidance.
Holy Spirit fill our hearts with all that is good and only of the Lord our God. Enlighten our minds and may our words be as sweet as honey yet always true to the Word of the Lord.
In Jesus name, in union with the Holy Spirit I pray. Amen

Rebishka

2 comments:

  1. i love u mom!! this was such an awesome blog today!!! I really needed it!! needed the reminder of whats really important and not!! so happy I have you in my life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to have you a part of my life as well and glad it was given for you. The Lord knows the right timing and so glad He helped you. Love and hugs, Mom.

    ReplyDelete