Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Do you know the living God? Hebrews 1:1-3, Hebrews 7:25, Psalm 139.

There are some shaky and inaccurate beliefs about God in our world today. Many people don't have any idea who God is or how to relate to Him. They might believe God is distant and unconcerned. Or that you and I are on our own in the universe. Some might even insist that God didn't create men and women--that we just evolved.
But instead of listening to what some people say, let's listen to what God says. If you want to know the real God, the God who is in charge of everything, you need look no further than the Bible.

Receive

The whole Bible, all 66 books of it, is God's Word given to us. So all of it is useful for finding out about who God is and what He desires of us. But let's look specifically at Hebrews 1:1-3.
"Long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets" (Hebrews 1:1, ESV). God speaks to us. This verse specifically talks about the prophets that relayed God's messages. Many of those prophets also wrote down God's words and those writings form much of our Old Testament. God's words given to the prophets were meant first for the Jewish people--but then for us also.
"But in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed the heir of all things, through whom he also created the world" (Hebrews 1:2, ESV). More recent than the prophets, God spoke to us through His Son, Jesus. Jesus is the creator of the world and the heir of all things. Jesus speaks to us the words of God.
"He [Jesus] is the radiance of the glory of God and the exact imprint of his nature, and he upholds the universe by the word of his power. After making purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high" (Hebrews 1:3, ESV).
Not only is Jesus the creator of the universe, He is also the forgiver of our sins. Jesus "upholds the universe by the word of his power." And later in Hebrews we see that Jesus is "able to save to the uttermost those who draw near to God through him, since he always lives (to) make intercession for them" (Hebrews 7:25, ESV).
He is the Lord of all creation and Savior of our souls. He is the One who scattered the stars in the heavens and has numbered the hairs on our heads. He is God, the second Person of the Trinity, and a friend we can draw near to. Why would we need anything else?

Reflect

As you read Hebrews 1:1-3, think about the following questions:
Knowing that God is creator of all things, what does that say about human origins?
What does God do in these verses to demonstrate His love for us?
Why is it important to you and me that Jesus is seated at the right hand of the Father?

Respond

God has used the words of Psalm 139 to comfort and encourage many people since David wrote it nearly 3,500 years ago. This psalm is one of the most beautiful descriptions of God's intimate care and involvement in our lives. Read through Psalm 139 and pick out a couple of verses that really speak to you. Take those verses and write them out on paper in big letters. Decorate it and hang it up where you will see it often. If you prefer, use a computer and word processing program.

Back to the Bible Ministries

My Comment: When I was younger and brought up in a different faith than now. I thought I knew the God of the universe. I thought I knew "enough" of His word to know I was saved. I had not however known I needed to accept His Sacrifice for me and go through His Son Jesus the Christ for forgiveness of my sin. Through many changes in my life and down many roads I continued to talk to God and not hear Him when He wanted me to follow. I wanted Him to "follow me" or "listen to me" or "do what I wanted" my walk was not about Him it was about me. This is the way many churches teach by the lack of teaching the truth of Jesus Christ Crucified and that to be God's child we must accept this His Sacrifice, confess our sin and then become His child, the child of the King! Oh, how wonderful the day I finally understood and choose to follow Him!
Abba I pray for all who read this for all my family loved ones and friends. I pray You touch their lives as You graciously touched mine. Help them to see and understand their need for salvation and how much You love them and have always been there calling to them. Thank You my Father for all You are doing in their lives and the lives of all of us. Thank You for the Salvation You sent to earth, for the Sacrifice of the Lamb of God and for the sending of Your Holy Spirit to teach, comfort and guide us. In Jesus' precious and Holy Name, Amen
Rebishka

No comments:

Post a Comment